background to the song
‘Lovely’ is a song written by Billie Eilish, her brother Finneas O’Connell and Khalid Robinson. Its first performance was in 2018 and the song was released as the lead single from the Netflix drama series 13 Reasons Why‘s second season soundtrack.
The song title ‘Lovely’ is sarcastic – it’s what might be said when you’re faced with negative feelings. About the song, Billie Eilish has said, “We called it that because the song was sort of really depressing so then it’s like oh, how lovely, just taking everything horrible like you know what this is great. I’m so happy being miserable.”
how we will perform the song
This song is for secondary choirs only.
The performance will be accompanied by piano, strings and percussion. It will be in the original key of E minor. There will be three voice parts – S, A and B – with opportunities for solos in the opening verse. Soloists will audition in January, so please let us know who might like to put themselves forward.
things to think about when learning the song
- While the song is about unhappiness, we hope to communicate these feelings in a powerful way. There is a lot of singing in harmony in the verses and pre-choruses to ensure the sound is full.
- While much of the song is set syllabically, there are many swooping legato phrases, such as ‘make it out of here’ and ‘fight my fear’.
- Make sure not to breathe in the middle of phrases!
- Pay attention to the dynamic changes that indicate new sections.
- Check the rhythm is accurate in the choruses – watch those semiquavers.
- There will be a slow rit. at the end; pupils will need to watch the conductors closely.
audio and vocal sheet music coming soon!